Week 9 GOL (July 31-August 4)

 Hi friends, I am back with an insanely eventful week. Below are the details. We have one more week of this internship so thank you for following my story this summer. Thank you for reading! 

Monday (July 31): Today I attended a didactic meeting on Quality assurance and the actions they need to take to follow up with tissue processing companies so that tissues can be released in order to help others. Quality Assurance may need to track down any missing medical files or cases in which the donor could have any diseases that were not identified in the medical and social history questionnaire. We also followed a chart review they had finished that morning. In organ cases, the chart review is relatively quick because they are life-saving transplants and everything that needs to be handled is handled prior to transplant. Remember in Week 1/2 I explained that tissue was regulated by the FDA? There are so many more details and background information needed to ensure that the bone and skin grafts that can help people live better lives are receiving tissue that does not carry a disease they could then suffer from. I finished the day by working on my project. 


Tuesday (August 1): Today was pretty cool. We went to NDRI, the National Disease Research Interchange. NDRI works with Gift of Life in cases where donors want to donate tissues or organs that are unable to be transplanted to research. They work with universities, private parties, for-profit organizations, and non-profit organizations. People will submit a profile of specific tissues for disease research, medical research, and a number of other research that continue the world of science. After the initial meetings, we interns were given a tour of the facility and even got to see the temporal lobe of a brain packaged to help with a research project that a University is working on. It was a really great group of people and I am excited at the possibility of working with them at some point in the future.

Wednesday (August 2): Today started off amazingly...at 12:07 PM my life changed. We woke up today and were able to get some Dunkin before going to the Delaware DMV to observe training that Public Affairs conducts to educate DMV employees on registering individuals to be organ donors and common questions they may receive so they can educate their patrons factually. After leaving the DMV, we stopped at Walmart on our way back to the office for a meeting with Public Affairs. On I-95 going North into Philadelphia, there was noon stop-and-go traffic. At mile marker 14, a tractor-trailer semi-truck slammed into my car and completely totaled it. Now, I am having to deal with the Insurance and medical consequences of this truck driver's actions. Thankfully, Howard Nathan, the Executive Director of Gift of Life, and previous CEO came and picked us up and made sure we were taken care of. That car was my storage locker, so most of my college items were loaded in the car and Howard made sure to load all of my stuff into his car and take us to get checked out by Urgent Care. I have a lot of people in my corner, but I know this is going to be a long unexpected road that I will travel down and get stronger because of it. 


Thursday (August 3): This morning we attended a meeting with Quality Assurance who gave us more details about the steps they need to do in order to follow up on cases for tissue processing companies. After the meeting, I dealt with insurance calls, filing claims and just dealing with the aftermath of my car being totaled by this semi-truck. 


Friday (August 4): This morning, I went to Howie's House with the other intern and we baked cookies for the transplant families and recipients so they could have baked goods. We did take photos, however, I don't have access to those photos as of now. In between baking, I met with counsel regarding the motor vehicle accident and handled more insurance items to hopefully get the ball rolling. After baking, we went to the office to have our meeting with Public Affairs that we did not get to attend due to the events of Wednesday afternoon. My best friend is in town for the last week of my internship, so our friend from Ocean City picked us up and we had a relaxing weekend-or at least as relaxing as it could be given the circumstances of my transportation issue that has developed. 

Overall, this week was completely crazy. I am confident that this coming last week of my Gift of Life internship will be great. Thank you for following along and I'll see yall next week. 

Have a good day! 

-Rachael Triglia   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gift of Life and Me

GOL Week 1 (June 5-June 9)

Week 4 GOL (June 26-June 30)